The Council of Museums of Latvia is an advisory institution, which has been formed in order to promote cooperation and decision – making of the institutions on the issues related to the state strategy in the museum sector, as well as operation of the museums and formation of the National collection and its preservation.
There are 15 members in the Council of Museums: eight representatives delegated by the accredited museums from Riga and Riga district, four representatives delegated by the accredited county museums (one from each county), one representative delegated by the Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments, one – delegated by the Latvian Museum Association and the Minister of Culture (or a representative delegated by the Minister).
The jurisdiction of the Council of Museums is to:
- Promote development and cooperation of public and private museums;
- Provide statements on the state budget and on the sections of the draft budget of self-governments, which are related to the funding of museums, as well as on other issues related to the activities of the museums to ministries and local governments;
- Provide consultations on establishing, reorganization or liquidation of state and self-government museums;
- Provide statements on the compliance of the museums to the accreditation requirements to the State Museum Administration;
- Provide statements on the removal of museum objects from the National collection to the State Museum Administration;
- Provide statements on the development and preservation of the National collection to the State Museum Administration;
- Submit to the ministries and local governments proposals on the candidates for the positions of museum directors;
- Submit proposals on the education and vocational training of museum specialists (personnel) to the State Museum Administration;
- Provide statement on the compliance of a museum to the status of national cultural institution to the Ministry of Culture.