Latvia is the member state of the following international treaties:
- Bernes konvencija On protection of literary and artwork (from August 1, 1995);
- Ženēvas konvencija „On the Protection of Phonogram Producers against Illegal Reproduction of their Phonograms” (from August 23, 1997.gada 23.augusta);
- Romas konvencija „On Protection of Performers, Phonogram Producers and Broadcasters Rights” (since August 20, 1999);
- International Intellectual Property Organizations Autortiesību līgums (from March 6, 2002);
- World Intellectual Property Organizations Izpildījumu un fonogrammu līgums (from May 20, 2002).
The regulatory enactments of Latvia encompass legal provisions, arising from the following EU Directives:
- 91/250/EEK – Council Directive 91/250/EEC of 14 May 1991 on the legal protection of computer programs;
- 93/83/EEK – Council Directive 93/83/EEC of 27 September 1993 on the coordination of certain rules concerning copyright and rights related to copyright applicable to satellite broadcasting and cable retransmission;
- 96/9/EEK – Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council of March 11, 1996 on legal protection of databases;
- 2001/29/EK – Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001 on the harmonization of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society;
- 2001/84/EK – Directive 2001/84/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 September 2001 on the resale right for the benefit of the author of an original work of art;
- 2004/48/EK – Directive 2004/48/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the enforcement of intellectual property rights;
- 2006/115/EK – Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on rental right and lending right and on certain rights related to copyright in the field of intellectual property;
- 2006/116/EK – Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on the term of protection of copyright and certain related rights.
- 2012/28/EU – Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 October 2012 on certain permitted uses of orphan works
- 2014/26/EU – Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council of 4 February 2014 on collective rights management and multi-territorial licensing of rights in musical works for online uses
- Satversme of the Republic of Latvia – Section 113:
“The State shall recognize the freedom of scientific research, artistic and other creative activity, and shall protect copyright and patent rights.”
- Autortiesību likums (effective from May 11, 2000).
- Krimināllikums – Article 148, Article 149.
- Administratīvo pārkāpumu kodekss – Article 155.8, Article 204.4 and Article 204.6.
- Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 487 of November 20, 2001 „Filmu izplatīšanas noteikumi”.
- Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 321 of May 10, 2005 „Noteikumi par tukšo materiālo nesēju un reproducēšanai izmantojamo iekārtu atlīdzības lielumu un tās iekasēšanas, atmaksāšanas, sadales un izmaksas kārtību”.
- Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 565 of August 21, 2007 „Kārtība, kādā aprēķina, izmaksā un sadala atlīdzību par publisko patapinājumu”.